Engineer with detailed knowledge of control systems, automation and instrumentation: process instruments, sensors, PLC/SCADA/DCS systems, electronics, variable speed drives, switchgear and controlgear.
Wide ranging experience covering all types of processes and machinery, valves, pumps, hydraulics, distribution, CCTV and communications, networks, hardware and software, as well as systems engineering and RAMS.
Responsible for design, specification, estimating, evaluation of tenders, negotiations, project planning and general project management on projects with C&I value to €10M.
- BSc Instrument & Control Engineering, City University
- Chartered Engineer
- Member Institute of Measurement & Control
- Member Institution of Engineering Technology
- PLC Application Sessions - Rockwell
- Application of IEC 61850 protection relays - Conference
- HAZOP Techniques - InstChemE
- Action Centred Management - The Industrial Society
- Team Leadership - PAT Management Centre
- DIY - restoring Victorian & Edwardian houses
- Organising IET branch activities
- Webmaster for an alumni society
- Food - preparation and consumption
- Listening to music - Proms, Jazz
- Reading - classics & poetry
- Pipe organ technology studies, late in collaboration with Dr J D C Hemsley
C&I for projects at ICI, Glaxo, Glacier Vandervell, Shanks and London Underground in the UK, Hoogovens in The Netherlands and at AHMSA and Petacalco in Mexico.
Basic engineering & enquiry specifications for major metals industry projects at HADEED and
the Arabian Pipes Co in Saudi Arabia, Al Ezz in Egypt and the Namakwa Sands ilmenite smelters in S. Africa.
Specification of PLC/SCADA and DCS based control systems with detailed requirements specifications, for clients including TfL/London Underground and the University of Dundee.
Supervision of installation, commissioning, and start-up production at Glacier Vandervell, Hoogovens, at Dofasco in Canada and biogeneration plant at Westfield and water treatment at Marston Vale in the UK.
Feasibility studies, economic models, dynamic models, and reliabilty assessment for clients including S G Warburg, Shanks Waste Services, EDF and London Underground and Railtrack.
Lead software quality assurance auditor for major automation and management information system projects for Avesta Polarit in Sweden, Columbus in South Africa and British Steel/Corus in the UK, dealing with clients at high level.
- Hot Linking in the UK Steel Industry - ETSU
- Continuous Monitoring in the Metals Industry - Environment Agency
- Chief Inspector's Guidance Notes to Inspectors - HMIP
- Software Tool for Upgrading electroplating Shops to BAT - DTI
- Standards in EMC Testing - Inst M&C Seminar
- Applications of Charge Coupled Devices - Sira Institute
View or download as a PDF